Rawson was one particular of the initial professional limnologists in Canada and his operate was integral in developing freshwater sciences in Canada
SASKATOON, SK, March 8, 2023 /CNW/ – National historic people have produced long lasting contributions to the story of Canada and give an prospect for Canadians to understand more about our diversified historical past.
These days, Parks Canada and the Historic Internet sites and Monuments Board of Canada commemorated the nationwide historic importance of Dr. Donald Strathearn Rawson (PhD) with a plaque unveiling ceremony at the College of Saskatchewan.
Rawson specialized in the rising field of limnology in the course of the 33 a long time he invested at the College of Saskatchewan in the Biology Section, with over a decade expended as Department Head. He executed scientific scientific studies of lake ecosystems, examining how various environmental aspects influence lake circumstances and fish populations. This involved intensive scientific scientific studies of the huge lakes in the Northwest, top to the opening of a profitable business fishery on Excellent Slave Lake. His floor-breaking work laid the foundation for the morphoedaphic index, an critical scientific resource employed to estimate fish productivity in inland waters.
The Govt of Canada, by the Historic Internet sites and Monuments Board of Canada, recognizes nationally significant persons, places, and situations as just one way of assisting Canadians hook up with their earlier. By sharing these tales with Canadians, we hope to foster knowledge and consciousness of Canada’s wealthy and sophisticated heritage. The commemoration course of action is mostly driven by community nominations. To day, more than 2,200 designations have been designed. To nominate a human being, area or historic party in your neighborhood, be sure to stop by the Parks Canada web site for more data: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/tradition/clmhc-hsmbc/ncp-pcn/software.
“As a pioneer in his discipline, Dr. Rawson’s superior scientific investigation had long lasting impacts that are continue to related these days. His function brought him to lots of nationwide parks in Western Canada, which includes Prince Albert, Driving Mountain and the mountain parks, and factored into the administration of fisheries exploration throughout the place.”
The Honourable Steven Guilbeault
Minister of Atmosphere and Weather Alter and Minister accountable for Parks Canada
- Limnology is the study of inland waters as ecological methods.
- In 1928, Donald Rawson joined the biology department at the College of Saskatchewan, which he led as office chair from 1949 to 1961.
- Guided by science, Indigenous Understanding and neighborhood views, Canada is dedicated to safeguarding biodiversity and conserving 25 per cent of land and inland waters and 25 % of maritime and coastal spots by 2025, working towards 30 percent by 2030.
- Designed in 1919, the Historic Web pages and Monuments Board of Canada advises the Minister of Surroundings and Local climate Improve concerning the national historic importance of sites, people today, and situations that have marked Canada’s heritage.
- Together with Parks Canada, the Board ensures that topics of nationwide historic importance are recognized beneath Parks Canada’s Countrywide Plan of Historical Commemoration and these crucial stories are shared with Canadians.
Backgrounder: Donald Strathearn Rawson (1905–1961)
Supply Parks Canada
For more information and facts: Audra Norek, Cultural Resource Administration Officer, Saskatchewan South Field Unit, Parks Canada, 306-740-8709, [email protected] Media Relations, Parks Canada, 855-862-1812, [email protected], http://www.twitter.com/parkscanada