The best work clothes for women have come a long way since the ‘80s power suits of the Working Girl era. Dress codes—if there are even any—are more relaxed and casual in most offices. And for formal(ish) workplaces where a suit or blazer may be required, you’ve got more modern options to pick from. As editors and writers who have worked both from home and the office, we’ve experienced this shift firsthand—and have some well-considered recommendations. Ahead, we researched the best work clothes for women for your 9-to-whenever wardrobe and regular life, too.
We organized this list by category—best for affordable pieces, plus-size options, petite lengths and more—picking a top brand for each. The best overall pick, Everlane, has work clothes that touch on all those categories. Bookmark this page, too, because we frequently update our categories and picks. And for more work essentials, we also have guides to the best work pants for women, chic button-downs and cool blazers.
- Best Work Clothes For Women Overall: Everlane
- Best Affordable Work Clothes For Women: Quince
- Best Plus-Size Work Clothes For Women: Eloquii
- Best Petite Work Clothes For Women: J.Crew
- Best High-End Work Clothes For Women: Reformation
- Best Casual Work Clothes For Women: Madewell
- Best Comfortable Work Clothes For Women: Lululemon
- Best Modern Work Clothes For Women: Banana Republic
- Best Sustainable Work Clothes For Women: Jenni Kayne
- Best Travel Work Clothes For Women: M.M.LaFleur
Why Trust Forbes Vetted
The Forbes Vetted editors have years of experience scouting out the best fashion on the market, and we’ve published dozens of stories on the subject, including firsthand tested reviews of the best leggings, cashmere sweaters, work bags for women and more. For this story, we spent ample time researching customer reviews, scouring the sites of popular fashion retailers and generally hunting down the best work clothes for women on the market. What’s more, we refresh this story regularly to ensure that all of our picks are in-stock and up-to-date; it was last updated in September 2023.
More Stories To Shop: